« ПретходнаНастави »
borhood of said meadows, at least five days previous to said meeting
9. And be it enacted, That after the meeting of the said Annual elecowners and possessors at the time and place appointed as cers. aforesaid, it shall and may be lawful for the said owners and possessors to meet and assemble statedly, on the first Monday in April, yearly and every year, at one o'clock in the afternoon of that day, at such place as a majority of those met at the first meeting, or at the last preceding annual meeting, may have from time to time appointed, and there, between the hours of one and five in the afternoon, by ballot or otherwise and plurality of those met, appoint a manager or managers, a treasurer, and a clerk, to continue for one year, and from thence until others are appointed to supply their places; and the manager or managers, treasurer, and clerk then elected shall have the like powers as those herein
before mentioned. 10. And be it enacted, That it shall be the duty of the Proceedings, clerk, from time to time, to enter in a book to be provided recorded. for that purpose, all votes, proceedings, orders, and assessments made by the said owners or the manager or managers, and all transactions whatsoever which the said owners and possessors or manager or managers shall direct.
11. And be it enacted, That if any of the manager or Vacancies, managers, or treasurer, or clerk at any time within the plied. year for which they are elected, become incapable, by death, or removal, or other disability, of executing the duties required by this act, it shall and may be lawful for the manager or managers, or the survivor, or if none remain, any two of the owners or possessors, to call a meeting, by notice in writing, set up in three of the most public places in the neighborhood of said meadows, at least one week previous thereto, for the purpose of supplying the vacancy or vacancies, and the person or persons appointed in consequence shall have the like powers for the remainder of the year, as he or those had in whose place or places he or they may be appointed.
12. And be it enacted, That the owners and possessors Compensa
tion of off of meadow ground in said companies at the first and at the
subsequent annual meetings, from time to time, shall fix and determine, by a vote of the majority of those met, the wages or salaries to be paid to the manager or managers, treasurer, and clerk, from year to year.
13. And be it enacted, That this act shall take effect immediately.
Approved March 5, 1858.
A SUPPLEMENT to an act entitled "An act to incorporate the Northern
Railroad Company of New Jersey," approved February ninth, eighteen hundred and fifty-four.
WHEREAS, a supplement approved February eighteenth,
eighteen hundred and fifty-six, to the act entitled “An act to incorporate the Northern Railroad Company of New Jersey," approved February ninth, eighteen hundred and fifty-four, authorized the directors of said company to issue bonds to an amount not exceeding in the aggregate two hundred thousand dollars, bearing interest at the rate of six per cent. per annum; and whereas, said directors desire that said bonds should bear a higher rate of interest:
1. BE IT ENACTED by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey, That it shall and may be lawful for the directors of the said company to issue the bonds mentioned in the third section of the said supplement, so that
Company may issue bonds.
such bonds shall bear interest at the rate of seven per cent. per annum.
2. And be it enacted, That it shall and may be lawful for Track of the said company to extend the line or track of their rail- may be exroad, from the northern termination thereof, in the county of Bergen, on the line of the state of New York, as fixed by the act to which this is a supplement, into the county of Rockland, in the said state of New York, to a point in the village of Piermont, south of the northern limits of said village; and said company is hereby authorized to construct that portion of their road within the limits of the state of New York in the same manner as if they were authorized so to do by the said act to which this is a supplement; provided, the state of New York grants to the said company the right to so extend their road.
Approved March 5, 1858.
A FURTHER SUPPLEMENT to an act entitled "An act for establishing a turn
pike road from the town of Hackensack to Hoboken, in the county of Bergen."
1. BE IT ENACTED by the Senate and General Assembly of Company the State of New Jersey, That the president and directors of to lay rails. the Bergen Turnpike Company are hereby authorized and empowered to lay down upon their road, on any part thereof, such track or tracks of iron rails as they may deem necessary; and that they shall have power to purchase, with
Lands may be taken on
the funds of the company, such cars, horses, and mules, and other appendages, as shall and may be proper and necessary to use on said rail tracks.
2. And be it enacted, That for the purpose of enabling said payment to company to get an easier grade than on the present line of
their road, for the laying down of said rails, or of shortening the distance between any points on the line of the same, it shall be lawful for the president and directors of said company, their agents and servants, to enter upon, take pos- . session of, and excavate and level, any lands which may be wanted for the use of said road; but all lands and real estate thus entered upon, which are not donations, shall be purchased by the said corporation of the owner or owners thereof, at a price which shall be mutually agreed upon between them; and in case of a disagreement as to price, or if, by reason of the legal incapacity or absence of such owner or owners, no such agreement can be made, then the value of such lands and damages shall be ascertained and fixed in the manner, and the proceedings relating thereto shall be the same as are provided in the third, fourth, and fifth sections of the act (being a further supplement to the act incorporating said company, approved February 9th, 1854), and that the payment or tender of the amount so ascertained shall vest in the said company the title to the
lands so taken possession of and occupied by them. Map of road 3. And be it enacted, That said president and directors
shall cause a survey of all deviations from the line of their turnpike road, as herein before authorized to be made, and a description and map made thereof, to be filed in the office of the secretary of state; and a certified copy thereof shall
be evidence of the location and route thereof. Company 4. And be it enacted, That it shall be lawful for the said
president and directors to employ such agents in conducting the business of the said road, and to allow them such suitable compensation as they may deem necessary and
proper. Locomotives 5. And be it enacted, That nothing in this act shall author
ize said company to use any locomotive or locomotives on
to be made and filed.
may employ agents.
not to be used on road.
the said road, or to hinder, interfere, or render unsafe the
6. And be it enacted, That this act shall take effect imme.
Approved March 5, 1858.
As Act concerning the sale of railroads, canals, turnpikes, and plank
1. BE IT ENACTED by the Senate and General Assembly of sale to vest the State of New Jersey, That whenever any railroad, canal, &c., in purturnpike, or plank road in this state, of any corporation created by or under any law or laws of this state, shall be sold and conveyed, under or by virtue of any decree or decrees of the court of chancery of this state, or of the circuit court of the United States in and for the district of New Jersey, sitting in equity, and an execution or executions issued thereon, to satisfy any mortgage debt or debts, judgment or judgments, or other incumbrance or incumbrances thereon, such sale and conveyance, duly made and executed, shall vest in the purchaser or purchasers thereof all the right, title, interest, property, possession, claim, and demand, in law and equity, of the parties to the suit or suits, action or actions, in which such decree or decrees was or were made, of, in, and to the said railroad, canal, turnpike, or plank road, with its appurtenances; and also, of, in, and to the corporate rights, liberties, privileges, and