« ПретходнаНастави »
1. The animal made an angry noise.
2. The animal growled.
1. The water came against the rock.
2. The water splashed the rock.
1. The window fell, and broke.
2. The window fell, and crashed below.
Some other imitative words are the following:
9. hum 10. buzz
Use such words habitually and you strengthen your speech by making it more expressive.
Listen to the sound outside your window. Speak of it, using an imitative word.
How Use to Synonyms
KEY WORDS: MAKE YOURSELF FAMILIAR WITH MANY SYNONYMS FOR ORDINARY WORDS.
A synonym is a word that may be used in place of another word, with practically the same meaning.
There is, of course, a shade of difference in meanings. You should, therefore, select synonyms with such care that your speech will be very expressive.
Enlarge your vocabulary. Avoid using the same words again and again. Give your speech variety.
Study the dictionary, or any special book of synonyms as a means of enlarging your vocabulary.
Here is a list of synonyms that will help you:
1. Abandon, forcake, give up, renounce.
2. Able, efficient, expert, clever.
3. Abolish, stamp out, annihilate, suppress.
4. Abuse, insult, upbraiding, reviling.
5. Accident, mishap, chance, misfortune.
6. Address, speech, oration, talk.
7. Announce, give notice, publish, report.
8. Argue, debate, dispute, reason.
9. Authentic, reliable, true, trustworthy.
10. Avoid, elude, escape, keep away from.
11. Bad, wicked, evil, depraved.
12. Band, gang, clique, body.
13. Believe, conceive, suppose, think.
14. Bold, heroic, brave, fearless.
15. Bright, shining, gleaming, radiant.
16. Calm, quiet, still, placid.
17. Capable, able, competent, gifted.
18. Caution, heed, prudence, discretion.
19. Cheerful, light-hearted, gay, jolly.
20. Cold, raw, icy, wintry.
21. Dark, gloomy, shady, murky.
22. Deceit, fraud, trickery, imposture.
23. Delicate, slender, slight, frail.
24. Difficulty, trouble, predicament, perplexity.
25. Droll, funny, comical, laughable.
26. Ease, quiet, peace, content.
27. Eloquent, impressive, vigorous, persuasive.
28. Emergency, crisis, exigency, juncture.
29. End, conclusion, completion, close.
30. Equal, like, equivalent, uniform.
31. Faint, weak, feeble, depressed.
32. Familiar, friendly, affable, social.
33. Fight, battle, conflict, struggle.
34. Fix, place, set, fasten.
35. Follow, pursue, chase, succeed.
36. Gay, lively, jovial, merry.
37. Gift, present, contribution, subscription.
38. Gloomy, dejected, sad, depressed.
39. Grief, sorrow, sadness, affliction.
40. Guide, direct, lead, conduct.
41. Happy, glad, pleased, gratified
42. Hard, perplexing, difficult, puzzling.
43. Hold, keep, retain, grasp.
44. Honor, respect, dignity, fame.
45. Humble, meek, modest, unassuming.
46. Idle, indolent, lazy, inactive.
47. Immense, boundless, unlimited, measureless.
48. Immoral, wicked, corrupt, sinful.
49. Impertinent, impudent, saucy, rude.
50. Incompetent, unfit, disqualified, incapable.
51. Join, combine, unite, connect.
52. Kind, benevolent, gracious, philanthropic.
53. Leave, abandon, desert, give up.
54. Lively, agile, nimble, brisk.
55. Main, principal, chief, leading.
56. Manage, direct, administer, conduct.
57. Memorable, celebrated, notable, famous.
58. Near, immediate, close, nigh.
59. Obscure, unknown, nameless, humble.