« ПретходнаНастави »
60. Passion, ardor, zeal, fervor.
61. Practical, possible, feasible, attainable.
62. Qualification, ability, fitness, capability.
63. Raise, elevate, promote, advance.
64. Remedy, corrective, antidote, cure. / 65. Savage, fierce, wild, cruel.
66. Sense, reason, undarstanding, discernment.
67. Shocking, dreadful, horrible, fearful.
68. Speech, talk, oration, discourse, address.
69. Talk, conversation, colloquy, conference.
70. Uncertain, doubtful, indefinite, ambiguous.
71. Vehement, violent, furious, impetuous.
72. Wilful, unruly, perverse, obstinate.
73. Wrong, unjust, unfair, incorrect.
74. Youthful, childish, boyish, young.
75. Zealous, eager, earnest, devoted.
Frame sentences in which you correctly use any four of the synonyms given above.
How to Use Antonyms
KEY WORDS: LEARN TO USE THE MOST COMMON ANTONYMS.
An antonym is the opposite of a synonym. That is, it is a word that expresses the opposite of another word. "Bad" is the antonym of "good," "black" of "white," and "impure" of "pure."
Learn to use common antonyms in your daily speech. You will dignify your speech, and broaden your thought.
Here is a specimen list of antonyms:
Fashionable Distinguished "^Vain Admiration Flattery Spirit Useful Notable Ample Benefit Inducement Determination Voluntary "Verse Address Talkative Clear
Frame several sentences concerning the news of the day, making use of important words and their antonyms as a means of giving clearness and emphasis.
How to Avoid Misusing Words
KEY WORDS: BE PRECISE IN YOUR USE OF WORDS.
There are some words that ignorant people habitually misuse. Be very careful to avoid errors that are characteristic of ignorance.
1. Study the speech of the best educated people.
2. Notice correct usage in newspapers, magazines and books.
Study the following typical examples:
Go now, I will come after.
I will go and bring it to his
Will you accept this gift?
Go now, I will come afterwards.
Each of these two is satisfac-
I will go and take it to his office. PROBLEM.
He had a good character among men.
Amherst is a great school.
The neighborhood is healthy.
I'll learn you the lesson.
Lay down a minute.
I laid down.
Give me the lend of it.
Can I do it now, please?
H» is a noted robber. i
He wrote me an oral report. What party do you want to see?
There were fourteen scholars in
I won't go without you do.
He had a good reputation among men.
Amherst is a great college.
Yale is a great university.
The Chinese discovered sulphur.
The ten were fighting one another.
The neighborhood is healthful.
There were fourteen pupils in
I won't go unless you do.
Make a list of your typical errors, and of the proper expressions.