« ПретходнаНастави »
Yet gifts should prove their use :
10. Not once beat “Praise be Thine ! I see the whole design, I, who saw Power, see now Love perfect too: Perfect I call Thy plan : Thanks that I was a man! Maker, remake, complete,- I trust what Thou shalt do!”
For pleasant is this flesh;
12. Let us not always say “Spite of this flesh to-day I strove, made head, gained ground upon the whole !”. As the bird wings and sings, Let us cry “ All good things Are ours, nor soul helps flesh more, now, than flesh
helps soul !”
13. Therefore I summon age To grant youth's heritage, Life's struggle having so far reached its term: Thence shall I pass, approved A man, for aye removed From the developed brute ; a God though in the germ.
Youth ended, I shall try
For note, when evening shuts,
17. So, still within this life, Though lifted o'er its strife, Let me discern, compare, pronounce at last, “ This rage was right i' the main, That acquiescence vain : The Future I may face now I have proved the Past.”
For more is not reserved
The Master work, and catch | Hints of the proper craft, tricks of the tool's true play.
As it was better, youth
From strife, should know, than tempt. | Further. Thou waitedst age; wait death nor be afraid !
Enough now, if the Right
21. Be there, for once and all, Severed great minds from small, Announced to each his station in the Past ! Was I, the world arraigned, Were they, my soul disdained, Right ? Let age speak the truth and give us peace at
22. Now, who shall arbitrate ? Ten men love what I hate, Shun what I follow, slight what I receive; Ten, who in ears and eyes Match me: we all surmise, They, this thing, and I, that: whom shall my soul
Not on the vulgar mass