Слике страница

ouply to direct the men, and by big heroism, bearing, and skill so inspired the few survivors that they were enabled to completely repulse greatly superior numbers of the enemy.

Robert B. Cable: (1309715) Near Monthrelmin and Buslgny, France, October 7-17, 1918. Residence, Tellleo Plains, Tenn.; born, Carter County, Teun.; General Orders, No. 40, War Department, 1919. First lieutenant, Company M, One hundred and seventeenth Infantry, Thirtieth Division. For repeated acts of extraordinary heroism near Monthrehain and Busigtiy. France. Leading two platoons of his company, after the officers had become casualties, Sergeant (First Lieutenant) Cable effectively cleared the ground on the right flank of the company of machinegun nests, capturing two guns. Later in the day he took command of the company, when no officers remained with it, and eontalnued to be in charge for a week, in which time he lead his men in six attacks, inspiring them by his fearlessness. On October 9 he led an attack on the town of Busigny, charging across an open field in the face of heavy machine-gun fire from the houses of the village, and clearing the town of the enemy. This gallant soldier was later wounded while leading two platoons against an enemy machinc-guu nest.

Daniel B. Carroll: Near liois-de-Cheppy, France. September 2G-28, 1918. Residence. Santa Cruz, Calif.; horn. Australia; General Orders, No. 3!), War Department, 1920. First lieutenant. Throe hundred and sixty-fourth Infantry, Ninety-first Division. Although wounded in the arm in the attack of September 2<i. Lieutenant Carroll gallantly led his platoon forward, under heavy artillery and machine-gun fire, through the Bois de-Cheppy. I-ater, while leading his platoon in an attack near (he Neuve Grange Farm, he continued on until severely wounded a second time.

Charles E. Chenoweth: In the forest of Argonne, France, September 29-30, 1918. Residence, Lima, Ohio; born, St. Johns, Ohio; General Orders, No. 20, War Department, 1919. Captain. Three hundred and sixty-third Infantry, Ninety-first Division. At the lime when troops on the left had retired, Captain Chenoweth, with his company, covered the left flank of his division and thus prevented an attack by the enemy upon Its flank. After being severely wounded he remained at his post until he had issued the necessary orders for holding the position lie had seized.

John T. Comerford: Near Bols-de-Belleu, north of Verdun, France, October 28, 1918. Residence. Brookline, Mass.; born, Brookline, Mass.; General Orders, No. 56, War Department, 1922. Captain Machine Gun Company, One hundred and first Infantry, Twenty-sixth Division. Following five days' combat, during which his company made three attacks and repulsed four counterattacks in which his company was well-nigh exhausted by uninterrupted fighting, the enemy placed n barrage of minenwerfer, machine-gun, and artillery fire on a slightly entrenched front line, causing the. Infantry to fall back, leaving a gap in the line. Captain Comerford volunteered to reestablish the line, gathered a group of 10 men, organized them, and led them Into the gap, encountered an enemy patrol coming through, charged and drove them out, reestablished the line, and held it under a heavy machine-gun fire until reinforcements arrived. During this action he and a majority of his men were wounded, and some of the latter killed, but their heroic action prevented the enemy from inflicting heavy losses by flanking fire.

Charles C. Comity: Near Crezancy, France, July 16. 1918. Residence, Taunton, Mass.; horn, Taunton, Mass.; General Orders, No. 99, War Department, 1918. First lieutenant, chaplain, Eleventh Infantry, Twenty-eighth Division. Without regard for his personal safety, Chaplain Conaty, under intense shell flre following the attack of his troops from Crezancy to the Marne River, attended the wounded and throughout the night searched and assisted In carrying wounded to the dressing station.

John W. Cousins: Near Conflans, France, November 2, 1918. Residence, New Haven, Conn.; born, New Haven, Conn.; General Orders, No. 15, War Department, 1919. First lieutenant, Infantry, observer, Ninety-first Aero Squadron, Air Service. In the course of a photographic mission of a particularly dangerous character he and his pilot were attacked by a superior number of enemy pursuit planes. During the combat that ensued, with remarkable coolness and excellent shooting, he destroyed one of the attacking machines. Notwithstanding that the enemy aircraft continued to attack and harass them, Lieutenant Cousins and his pilot reached all their objectives and returned to our lines with photographs of great military Importance.

George S. Crabbe: Near Cierges, France, July 31, 1918. Residence, Saginaw, Mich.; born, Saglnaw, Mich.; General Orders, No. 04, War Department, 1919. First lieutenant, One hundred and twenty-fifth Infantry, Thirty-second Division. While advancing with his company lie wrenched his leg severely in the crossing of the Otircq River, but continued in the advance. Later he was severely wounded by machinegun bullets in the left thigh, but again refused evacuation, and continued in command of his company until the objective had been reached and the position consolidated, remaining nine hours with bis company after having been wounded.

James Cross: Near St. Souplet, France, October 1!5, 1918. Residence, Holenwood, Tenn.; born, Hnntsville, Tenn.; General Orders, No. 74, War Department, 1919. Second lieutenant, One hundred and eighth Infantry, Twenty-seventh Division. Accompanied by four soldiers, Lieutenant

Cross made a reconnaissance of the River La Salle, the Journey being under constant heavy machine-gun fire. To secure the desired Information it wan necessary to wade the stream for the entire distance. On the following evening Lieutenant Cross tapped the line from which his regiment would launch their attack, and In the battle that followed he was severely wounded.

Howard Huhber Davis: In Templeux Quarries, France, January 8, 1918. Residence, Cleveland, Ohio; born, Cleveland, Ohio; General Orders, No. 138, War Department, 1918. Kirst lieutenant. Medical Corps, attached to Twelfth Sherwood Foresters, British Army. He entered a dugout which had been caved In by enemy shell fire and minIstered to the wounded. Although the dugout was under heavy shell fire, he performed an operation for amputation of a leg and thereby saved a soldier's life.

Charles W. Drew: Near Flirey, France, August 13, 1918. Residence. Philadelphia, 1'a.; born. Rochester, N. Y.; General Orders, No. 15, War Department, 1!H.'0. First lieutenant, Thirteenth Aero Squadron. Air Service. Lieutenant Drew operated one of a patrol of four machines which attacked four enemy battleplanes. In the fight which followed he attacked in sut cession three of the enemy airships, driving one of them out of the battle, lie then engaged another machine at close range and received 10 bullets in his own plane, one of which penetrated his radiator, while another pierced his helmet. In spite of this he followed the German plane to a low altitude within the enemy's lines and shot it down In flames. During the latter part of the combat lie courageously refused to abandon the fight, although he had become separated from bis companions, and his engine bad become so hot, because of the leak In his radiator, that there was imminent danger of its failing him at any moment.

Luther E. Ellis: In Bois-d'Ormont, France, October 23, 1918. Residence, Montpelier, Ind.; horn. Butler, Ky.; General Orders, No. 133, War Department. 1919. Captain, One hundred and second Infantry, Twenty-sixth Division. He personally led bis company against a strongly held enemy machine-gun position. During the advance he was shot through the lung. When wounded, his men halted to render first aid, but he ordered them forward. His example of gallantry contributed greatly to the success of the attack.

Nathaniel Watson Ellis: Near Montbrehain, France, October 7, 1918. Residence. Tellico Plains. Tenn.; born, Elizabeth, Tenn.; General Orders, No. 46, War Department, 1919. First lieutenant, One hundred and seventeenth Infantry. Thirtieth Division. When his company was held up by sweeping machine-gun flre Lieutenant Ellis rushed forward alone, in the face of direct machine-gun fire, to an enemy machinegun nest 60 yards in advance of his platoon, and by the effective use of his pistol killed five of the enemy and captured 20 prisoners, together with the machine gun. Although he had been seriously wounded in two places while advancing, he held the position until his platoon came up.

William J. Farrell: At Seicheprry. France, April 20, 1918. Residence. Dorchester, Mass.; born. Boston. Mass.; General Orders, No. 49. War Department, 1922. First lieutenant, chaplain, One hundred and fourth Infantry, Twenty-sixth Division. With great gallantry and with utter disregard for his own danger, he personally conducted an ambulance from the battalion command post to the position of a supporting battery, where he assisted in the evacuation of the wounded. At Villedevnnt, Chaumont, France, November 9, 1918, when informed that one of the men of his battalion had been mortally wounded, Chaplain Farrell, in spite of extremely heavy artillery and flanking machine-gun fire, made his way by running and crawling from shell hole to shell hole until ho reached the dying soldier to whom he gave the last rites of his church and with whom he remained until the soldier died.

John Vincent Flood: Near Badonvillors, France, June 24, 1918. Residence, New York, N. Y.; born New York, N. Y. General Orders, No. 24, War Department, 1920. Second lieutenant. Three hundred and eighth Infantry, Seventy-seventh Division. After being severely wounded he eontininxl to direct his platoon with great courage and determination.

Charles M. Fox: Near Itantheville, France, October 26, 1918. Residence. Chicago, 111.; born, Stinesville. 111.; General Orders, No. 6<1, War Department, 1919. Captain, Medical Corps, attached to Three hundred and fifty-third Infantry, Eighty-ninth Division. Although he was suffering from the effects of gas, Captain Fox maintained his battalion dressing station under a terrific bombardment of gas and high explosive shells, which had almost demolished his station, continuing to care for the wounded and refusing to be evacuated until blindness rendered him unaMe to work.

Joseph W. Gray: In Romagne, France, October 18, 1918. Residence, Titusville, Pa.; horn, Titusville, Pa.; General Orders, No. 37, War Department, 1919. First lieutenant, Seventh Engineers, Fifth Division. Although wounded, he personally supervised the construction of a bridge under severe artillery and direct machine-gun fire, thereby making it possible for the Infantry and Artillery to advance to more advantageous positions.

Reuben G. Hamilton: Near Marcheville, France, September 25 and 20, 1918. Residence, Carlisle, 8. C.; born, Herbert, S. C.; General Orders, No. 138, War Department, 1918. Major, Medical Corps, head<|UarU>rs ambulance section. One hundred and flrst Sanitary Train, Twemy-sixth Division. He established aud mitiutnlurd an ambulunce dressing station iu an advanced and hazardous position, where be labored unceasingly treating and evacuating the wounded throughout the day. in full view of the enemy and under heavy bombardment. Knowing that our troops were withdrawing aud the enemy was about to enter the town, he continued his aid to the wounded, even after permission to withdraw had been given him by his commanding officer. Jainen W. Haubery: At Chateau-Thierry. France, .luly 19. 1018. Residence. Pitlsburg, Kans.: born, Hopkiusville. Ky.; General Orders, No. 31, War Department, 191!2. First lieutenant, Fifty-ninth Infantry. Fourth Division. For extraordinary heroism in action at ChateauThicvry. France, July 19, 1018, in command of the attacking unit of the assault company of his battalion. After gaining his objective. In an advance through heavy machine-gun and artillery fire, the battalion on his left bavins l>een held up by enemy machine-gun nests, his company and battalion became exposed to a grazing and flanking fire, which threatened the destruction of the entire battalion. Lieutenant Hanbery reorganized the attacking line and. although wounded, led a brilliant and successful attack against the enemy machine-gun nests until again wounded and rendered helpless, when be refused succor iu order not to endanger the lives of his men.

Cart T. Hatch: Near Nantillois, France, October 4, 1918. Residence, Baltimore, Md.: born, St. Albaus, Vt.; General Orders, No. 37, War Department, 1919. Second lieutenant. Three hundred and seventeenth Infantry. Eightieth Division. Seriously wounded in both knees while leading bis platoon against German machine-gun nests. Lieutenant Hatch declined to be evacuated, but remained in command of his platoon for nine hours until it was relieved.

Courtney S. Henley: North of the Sommerance-St. Juvln Road, France, October 11, 1918. Residence, Birmingham, Ala.; born, Birmingham, Ala.; General Orders, No. 10">, War Department. 1919. Captain, Three hundred and twenty-seventh Infantry, Klghty-second Division. Captain Henley led a party of three enlisted men In an attack on an enemy machine-gun position which was doing considerable damage to our forces. Under intense hostile flre his attack drov* the enemy gunners from the machine-gun nest.

William Harris Howard: South of Solssons, France. July 18-19, 1018. Residence, Lockport. III.; born, Lockport, III.; General Orders. No. 139. War Department, 1918. First lieutenant. Ninth Infantry. Second Division. He conspicuously distinguished himself by his gallant actions In leading his platoon through two fierce attacks. By his splendid example In facing enemy flre, bis platoon fought with the same qualities and succeeded In routing the enemy until the final objective was reached. His personal disregard of life consequence to himself under terrific shell flre was noted at all times by his men along the line. He was wounded just before his objective was reached.

Lee S. Hultzen: Near Vieville-en-Haye, France. September 26, 1918. Residence, Norwich, N. Y.; born, Burlington Flats, N. Y.; General Orders, No. 26, War Department. 1919. First lieutenant, Three hundred nnd eleventh Infantry. Seventy-eighth Division. After reaching his objective with n platoon of about 15 men, Lieutenant Hultzen organized his platoon and held It with three captured German machine guns. He cleaned out a " pill box" and attacked a dozen of the enemy with practically no assistance.

Horatio N. Jackson: Near Montfaucon. France, September 26-28, ^918. Residence, Burlington, Vt.; born, Canada; General Orders, No. 37, War Department, 1919. Major, Medical Corps, attached to Three hundred and thirteenth Infantry, Seventy-ninth Division. Constantly working in the face of heavy machine-gun and shell flre, he was most devoted in his attention to the wounded, always present In the line of advance, directing the administering of flrst aid, and guiding the work of litter bearers. He remained on duty until severely wounded by highexplosive shells, when he was obliged to evacuate.

I .-i in "• Jeffers: Near St. Juvln, France, October 11, 1018. Residence, Anniston, Ala.; born. Annlston, Ala; General Orders, No. 46, War Department, 1919. Captain, Three hundred and twenty-sixth Infantry, Eighty-second Division. On the night of October 10 Captain Jeflfers leconnoltcrcd a badly damaged bridge, and early In the morning of the llth he supervised Us repair, being continuously under an intense machine-gun flre. He later led the leading company of the battalion over this bridge and across an open level terrain, where all of his officers and alm'ost two-thirds of his men became casualties and he himself was seriously wounded. He continued to lead his company forward, however, until he fell, shot through the Jaw with a machinegun bullet.

Frank Johnstone Jervey: Near Les Franquettes Farm, France, July 23, 1918. Residence, Charleston, S. C.; born, Summerville, S. C.; General Orders. No. 32, War Department, 1919. Captain, Fourth Infantry, Third Division. Although wounded five times when bis company was suddenly flred upon by machine guns while crossing an open field, Captain Jervey remained In command of his company until he became unconscious.

Howard C. Knotts: Near Arieux, France, September 17, 1918. Resl. dence, Carlinvllle, 111.; born, Guard, 111.; General Orders, No. 19, War

Department, 1921. Second lieutenant. Seventeenth Aero Squadron. Air Service. During a patrol flight 5 American planes were attacked by 20 enemy Fokke.'s. During the combat, when Lieutenant Knotts saw one of his comrades attacked by seven enemy planes and in Imminent danger of being shot down. he. although himself engaged with the enemy, went to the assistance of his comrade and attacked two of his immediate pursuers. In the tight which ensued he shot one of the enemy down Iu flames and forced the other out of control. Ills prompt act enabled his comrade to escape destruction, although his comrade's plane was so disabled that trc made the Allied Hues with difficulty, crashing as he landed.

Fred Kochll: Near Moutfaucon, France, September 27, 1918. Residence, Alliance, Ohio; born, Alliance, Ohio; General Orders. No. (IS, War Department, 1920. First lieutenant. One hundred and forty-sixth Infantry, Thirty-seventh Division. Lieutenant Kochll, with 2 noncommissioned officers, advanced 200 yards b'eyond the objective of the patrol In the face of heavy machine-gun flre and captured three 77-inllllmeter fleld pieces and 2 light machine guns.

Wilbur F. Leltzell: Near Apremont, France, October 1, 11118. Residence, State College, Pa.; born, Scottdale, Pa.; General Orders. No. 72, War Department, 1920. Captain, One hundred and seventh Machine Gun Battalion, Twenty-eighth Division. Captain LeIUell exposed himself to heavy flre in order to place his machine guns In action against an enemy counterattack. Due to his Initiative and gallantry the enemy attack was repulsed without the aid of supporting Infantry. Later, the commander of arriving Infantry support being wounded, Captain Leltzell took command of the Infantry and led them to their ponltlonii. While in the performance of this act he was seriously wounded.

Reuben M. Levy (22033021 : Near Very. France, September 26. 1918. Residence, Placerville. Cnllf.; born, Vallejo, Calif.; General Orders, No. 72, War Department, 1920. Second lieutenant, Company B, Three hundred nnd sixty-third Infantry, Ninety-first division. After the advance of his platoon had been held up by machine-gun flre, Sergeant (Second Lieutenant) Levy, with one other man. attacked one machlmi gun and put It out of action. This act resulted In the enemy abandoning two other machine guns and permitted the advance of his platoon.

Harry B. Liggett: Near Bois-de-Chaume, France, October 10, 1918. Residence, Freeport, 111.; born. Broadhead, Wls.; General Orders, No. 44, War Department, 1919. Second lieutenant. One hundred and twenty-second Machine Gun Battalion. Thirty-third Division. Leading his platoon, under heavy shell and machine-gun tire, Lieutenant Liggett launched an attack on two enemy machine-gun nests. Accompanied liy one soldier, he silenced the flre from one nest with rifle flre, and directed the flre of his platoon Ko that the other nest was destroyed. He was severely wounded In this action.

David W. Llllard: Near Ponchaux, France, October 7, 1918. Residence, Ktowab, Tenn.; born. Decatur, Tenn.; General Orders, No. 81, War Department, 1919. Captain, One hundred and seventeenth Infantry, Thirtieth Division. Severely wounded In the side when an enemy machine-gun bullet struck and exploded two clips of shells In his magazine pouch. Captain Lilian! struggled to his feet nnd directed the further advance of his company. For six hours he remained In command of his company, issuing orders from a shell hole under the most Intense flre. During part of this period he was practically unconscious and was suffering severe pain, but he nevertheless successfully accomplished the organization of his company's position.

Arthur F. McKeogh: Near Blnarville, France, Beptemlier 2it. 1918. Residence, New York. N. Y.; born. Troy, N. Y.: General Orders, No. IB, War Department, 1921. First lieutenant. Three hundred and eighth Infantry, Seventy-seventh Division. In order to obtain ammunition and rations Lieutenant McKeogh, accompanied by two enlisted men. attempted to reestablish communication between battalion and regiment headquarters. When night came they lay over three hours undetected. Finally discovered, they made a dash to escape, nnd Lieutenant McKeogh. in order to protect his men, deliberately drew the enemy flre upon himself. He succeeded, however, In getting through the enemy lines, delivered his message, and effected the rcestahllshment of communication.

Norbert W. Markus : Near Solxsons, France, July 10, 1918. Residence, Quincy, 111.; born. Qulncy. 111.; General Orders, No. 120, War Department, 1918. Second Lieutenant, Third Machine Gun Battalion, First Division. After the entire personnel of the machine-gun squad under bis command had been killed or disabled and when he himself win severely wounded near Solssons, France, July 19, 1918, he kept up thn operation of his gun and refused to be taken to the rear when relieved until he had been carried to his company commander and had ghen the latter valuable information.

Marvin James Menefee : At Mollevllle Farm, France, October 12. 1918. Residence, Luray, \'a.; born, Covlngton, Va.; General Orders, No. 44, War Department, 1919. First lieutenant. One hundred and sixteenth Infantry, Twenty-ninth Division. While In charge of a :i7-mllllmeter gun section In advance of the assaulting troops Lieutenant Menef"K displayed unusual courage by operating the gun himself after bis gun ners had been killed, thereby reducing a machine-gun wit which had been holding up the Hue.

William D. Meyerlng: Near Rlg», France, April 0, 1928. Residence, Chicago, 111.; born, Chicago, 111.; General Orders, No. 5», War Department, 1918. First lieutenant, Twenty-third Infantry, second division. While commanding a platoon of Infantry it was attacked by the enemy on the morning of April 6, 1918. He took effective measures before and during the attack to defeat the enemy and handled big men well, under fire, until he was seriously wounded. Forced to attend to his wound, he refused assistance and walked through the enemy's barrage to a dressing station. He objected to being taken to the rear till he knew the outcome of the attack. His brave example inspired his men to drive off the enemy, who did not reach our trenches. He lost his right hand by amputation as the result of the wound.

John E. Morphew (2210646) : In the offensive against the St. Mihlel salient, France, September 12, 1918. Residence, Trousdale, Okla.; born, Gillbam, Ark.; General Orders, No. 128, War Department, 1918. Second lieutenant, Company C, Three hundred and flfty-seventh Infantry, Ninetieth Division. This soldier showed utter fearlessness and bravery of a high order throughout the drive. He took two machine-gun nests single handed, in both cases killing the gunners and taking the other members of the crews prisoners. He took 35 prisoners during the lift day, entering dugouts alone and disarming the occupants.

Aleinnder L. Nicol: Near Juvigny, north of Solssons, France, August 30, 1018. Residence, Sparta, Wis.; born, Sparta, Wls.; General Orders. No. 116, War Department, 1919. First lieutenant, One hundred and twenty-eighth Infantry, Thirty-second Division. After being severely wounded. Lieutenant Nicol directed the orderly retirement of his company and organized it under heavy fire of artillery and machine guns. At great personal risk he made several trips forward to bring In wounded men. Throughout the entire action he fearlessly exposed himself to flre in order to encourage and cheer his men. His energetic and faithful work furnished an example of calmness and courage to the men under his command.

William T. Nlmmo (60828): Near Bois-de-St. Remy, France, September 12, 1918. Residence, Waltham, Mass.; born, St. Albans, Vt.; General Orders, No. 46, War Department, 1919. Second lieutenant (sergeant) Company G, One hundred and first Infantry, Twenty-sixth Division. During the drive across the St. Mlhiel salient he led a group of 25 men through a severe machine-gun fire and into the woods occupied by the enemy. There he charged a machine-gun nest single handed and captured the gun. The gun crew attempted to escape by entering a nearby dugout, but Sergeant (Lieutenant) Nimmo followed them into the dugout alone and captured the entire crew.

Frederick W. McL. Patterson: Near Nantlllois, France, October 2829, 1918. Residence, Pittsburgh, Pa.; born, England; General Orders, No. 15, War Department, 1921. Major, Three hundred and fifteenth Infantry, Seventy-ninth Division. After being severely wounded in tbe left leg, he continued throughout the night to exercise command of his battalion at a critical time. He refused medical aid until tbe morning of the 29th and was evacuated by order of the regimental commander.

Jim Quinn: Near Solssons, France, July 18, 1918. Residence, Memphis ,Tcnn.; born Mayfleld, Ky.; General Orders, No. 100, War Department, 1918. Second lieutenant, Twenty-eighth Infantry, First Division. With a small platoon be attacked and captured a fortified French furmhouse in an open field. He so courageously and skillfully handled his men that this German strong point, held by 100 men and 5 machine guns, was promptly captured.

Brazilla Carroll Reece: In the Boln d' Ormont, France, October 2328, 1918. Residence, Butler, Tenn.; born, Butler, Tenn. General Orders, No. 46, War Department, 1919. Distinguished service medal also awarded. First lieutenant, One hundred and second Infantry, Twenty-sixth Division. In leading his company through four successful actions he was twice thrown violently to the ground and rendered unconscious by bursting shells, but upon recovering consciousness he immediately reorganized his scattered command and consolidated his position. On several occasions, under heavy enemy mnchine-gun fire, he crawled far In advance of his front line and rescued wounded men who had taken refuge in shell holes.

William G. Reynolds: Near St. Etlenne, France, October 4, 1918. Residence, Berryvllle, Va.; born, Kingston, Pu. General Orders, No. 46, War Department, 1919. Captain, Twenty-third Infantry, Second Division. After Captain Reynolds had been severely wounded by a shell he managed by a supreme effort to regain sufficient consciousness to acquaint bis successor with the necessary information for the continuance of the struggle. Ills courage, under such great agony, set :i most wonderful example for bis men.

Walter A. RichurdH: Near St. Juvln, France, October II, 1918. Residence, Clifton Station, Va.; born, Washington, D. C. General Orders, No. 40, War Department, 1919. First lieutenant, Three hundred and twenty-sixth Infantry. Eighty-second Division. Leading his platoon in attack, Lieutenant Richards was subjected to fierce nnd devastating flre of enemy artillery and machine gnus. Although he, himself, was wounded and 90 per cent of his platoon made casualties, he continued to press forward until he was felled by machine-gun flre lifter reaching the foremost position of the entire action.

Alan Rogers: Near La Palletta Pavilion, France, October 4, 1918. Residence, New York, N. Y.; born, New York, N. Y.; General Orders,

No. 81, War Department, 1919. Second lieutenant, Three hundred and seventh Infantry, Seventy-seventh Division. Having taken command of bis company after the company commander and second in command had been wounded, Lieutenant Rogers personally undertook a reconnaissance of the front line. Crawling forward alone under Intense rifle and machine-gun flre for 200 yards to within 30 yards of an enemy machinegun nest, he was seriously wounded In the knee, but applying a tourniquet to his leg he succeeded In crawling back to his company. Here he resumed command, and though suffering Intense pain, gave instructions for repelling an expected counterattack, directing that no man be taken from the firing line to carry him to the rear. For seven hours after being wounded he remained with bis command, inspiring his men by bis fortitude and courage.

Theodore Rosen: In the Grande Montagne sector, north of Verdun, November 4, 1918. Residence, Philadelphia, Pa.; born, Carmel, X. J.; General Orders, No. 19, War Department, 1920. First lieutenant, Three hundred and fifteenth Infantry, Seventy-ninth Division. While on a reconnaissance with two other officers, Lieutenant Rosen drew fire from a machine-gun nest In order to allow the other two officers to escape. A few minutes later he and two runners were sent Into the Bois d'Etraye in order to locate the left flank. Lieutenant Rosen again came under close-range Ore of the enemy. The runner, who was some yards in rear, escaped, but Lieutenant Rosen, who had been terribly wounded by a hand grenade, unable to move or resist by further fighting, was taken prisoner.

Clarence C. Schlde: Near Bois d'Ormont, France, October 12, 1918. Residence, Mason City. Iowa; born, Charles City, Iowa; General Orders, No. 26, War Department, 1919. Second lieutenant, One hundred and fourteenth Infantry, Twenty-ninth Division. Although severely wounded. Lieutenant Schide continued to lead his platoon over open ground and subjected to heavy artillery and machine-gun fire until he received a second wound, which necessitated his removal from the field in a critical condition.

Harry Hodges Semmes: Near Xivray, France. September 12, 1918. Residence, Washington, D. C.: born. Washington, D. C.; General Orders, No. 35, War Department, 1919. Captain, Tank Corps. During the operations along the Rupt de Mnd, Captain Semmes's tank fell Into the water and was completely submerged. Upon escaping through the turret door and finding that his driver was Rtill In the tank, he returned and rescued the driver under machine-gun fire. Oak-leaf cluster. For the following act of extraordinary heroism in action near Vauquois, France, September 26. 1918, Captain Semmes is awarded an oak-leaf cluster to be worn with tbe Distinguished Service Cross: He left his tauk under severe rifle flre and personally reconnoitered a passage for his tank across the German trenches, remaining dismounted until the last tank had passed. While so engaged, he was severely wounded.

James J. Sheeran: Near Chateau-Thierry. France, June 6, 1918. Residence, Chicago. 111.; born, Chicago, 111.; General Orders, No. 99, War Department, 1918. First lieutenant, Twenty-third Infantry, Second Division. After being severely wounded, near Chateau-Thierry, France, June 6, 1918, he displayed remarkable fortitude and exemplary poise by continuing to direct the operation of his platoon under violent machinegun fire.

Grant Shepherd: At Solssong and Chateau-Thierry, France, June and July, 1918. Residence, Washington, D. C.: born, Washington, D. C.; General Orders. No. 89, War Department, 1919. Captain, Twenty-third Infantry, Second Division. After being so seriously gassed as to be rendered temporarily so blind that he bad to be led by hand through his trenches, he refused to be evacuated, nevertheless, visiting all portions of his trenches to encourage his troops to hold at a most critical stage in the operations. Commanding his company in the SoiusousRelms offensive, he advanced over the top in front of his company, personally engaging machine-gun nests with his men until he was so severely wounded by the explosion of a uhell as to render him a. cripple for the rest of his life.

Charles L. Sheridan: On Hill 230, near Ciergcs, France, July 31 and August 1, 1918. Residence, Bozeman, Mont.; born, Marshalltown, Iowa; General Orders, No. 124, War Department, 1918. Captain, One hundred and twenty-eighth Infantry, Thirty-second Division. He demonstrated noble courage and leadership by taking command of tin; remnants of two companies and leading them up the hill and Into the woods against violent flre from tbe enemy. His grit and leadership inspired his men to force the enemy back. He personally shot and killed three of the enemy, and under his direction six machines were put out of action and the hill captured.

Roy F. Shupp: Near Gland, France, July 21, 1918. Residence, New Bern, N. C.; born, Kresgevllle, Pa.; General Orders, No. 33, WaiDepartment, 1919. First lieutenant, Fourth Infantry, Third Division. After crossing the Marne, with the leading platoon of his company, Lieutenant Shupp, with two companions, made a surprise attack on an enemy machine-gun emplacement and succeeded in taking one gun and eight prisoners.

Charles N. Slssons: Near Cornay, France, October 9,1918. Residence, Jacksonville, Ala.; born, Jacksonville, Ala.; General Orders, No. 15, War Department, 1919. Captain, Three hundred and twenty-eighth Infantry, Eighty-second Division. When the advance was checked on the outskirts of Cornny because of the exhaustion of the troops and the machine-gun fire from the town, Captain Slsson, who had been in action several hours, took charge without orders, and started two patrols into the town. One was driven back by the machine-gun fire, but this gallant officer personally led the other and succeeded in capturing 2 machine guns and their crews, and 112 prisoners, completely cleaning out the town. Throughout this operation he displayed great bravery and coolness under the most trying circumstances.

Howard G. Smith: In Bois-de-Komagne, France, October 15, 1018. Residence, East Lansing, Mich.; born, Cleveland, Ohio: General Orders, No. 13, War TA'partment, 1019. First lieutenant, One hundred and sixty-eighth Infantry. Forty-second Division. He was wounded Parly in the engagement, but he declined to be evacuated, although he was suffering much pain. He brilliantly led his platoon ill a charge on four machine guns, which he captured, together with many prisoners, and was instrumental In clearing the Bois-de-Romagne of the enemy under terrific machine-gun fire. Throughout the action his leadership, courage, and determination inspired the greatest confidence. When he was partly overcome by the loss of blood he volunteered to guide 60 prisoners ba<'k over a shell-swept area, and refused medical treatment until the prisoners were delivered at battalion headquarters,

I.orillard Spencer: In the Champagne sector, France, September 20, 101.S. Residence. New York, N. Y.; born, New York, N. Y.; General Orders. No. ;!7, War Department, 1910. Major, Three hundred and sixty-ninth Infantry. Ninety-third Division. Commanding a battalion which was in action for the first time, Major Spencer inspired his men by his own coolness and courage under intense machine-gun fire. He continually exposed himself without regard for personal safety until be Whs-wounded sir times.

Edward J. Stackpole. jr.: Nenr Baslleux. France, August 24, 1818. Residence, Ilnrrislmrg, i'a.; born, Harrlsburg. Pa.; General Orders, No. 71, War Department, 1919. Captain, One hundred and tenth Infantry, Twenty-eighth Division. Directed to advance to a new position, he led his men forward with great gallantry. Although painfully wounded in the back and leg by shell fragments, he remained on duty with his men. Inspiring them by his courage and coolness to hold a difficult position against repeated attacks by the enemy in force for a period of 24 hours.

Edwin R. Stavtum: West of Chateau-Thierry, France, June C. 1918. Residence, La Crosse, Wis.; born, La Crosse, Wis.; General Orders, No. 27, War Department. 1920. First lieutenant, Twenty-third Infantry. Second Division. Lieutenant Stavrum was severely wounded in the left shoulder during the first phase of the attack. In spite of his wound he conducted his platoon to its objective and exposed himself to heavy fire in order to organize his position for defense.

Maurice S. Stevenson: Near Kxermont, France, October 9, 1918. Residence, Kansas City, Mo.; born, Milwaukee. Wis.; General Orders. No. 128. War Department, 1918. Second lieutenant, Sixteenth Infantry, First Division. He displayed splendid devotion to duty by twice passing through a terrific artillery and machine-gun barrage in order to transmit important orders from his brigade commander to the assaulting battalion, and while in the performance of such duty was seriously wounded, but refused to be evacuated before he had made his report.

Ralph N. Summerton (1248643): Near Chatel-Chehery, France, October fi, 1918. Residence, Tldioute, Pa.; born, Tidioute, Pa.; General Orders, No. 130, War Department, 19)8. Second lieutenant (sergeant), Company L, One hundred and twelfth Infantry, Twenty-eighth Division. Sergeant Summerton, having on his body several aggravated wounds from an enemy grenade and being tagged for evacuation for these, as well as for grippe, when assured that his company was about to attack Chatel-Chehery and that it had lost all its officers, went back to his company and courageously and skillfully led it as the first wave, and while so doing was again wounded.

Charles K. Templeton: Near Nouart, France, November 5, 1918. Residence, Chicago. 111.; born, Superior, Nebr.; General Orders, No. 37, War Department, 1919. Second lieutenant, One hundred and twenty-second Field Artillery, Thirty-third Division. After telephone communications had been destroyed and his runners scattered on other missions Lieutenant Templeton started on his mission of extreme importance from the Infantry to the Artillery. His path lay through a heavy machine-gun and shell fire, and before he reached his destination he was seriously wounded. He succeeded, however, in relaying his message to its destination.

Alexander W. Terrell: Near Pexonne, B'rance, March 5, 1918. Resldeuce, Forth Worth, Tex.; born, Boonvllle, Mo.; General Orders, No. 139, War Department, 1918. Second lieutenant, One hundred and fifty-first Field Artillery, Forty-second Division. He showed unusual courage in assisting to direct the operations of Battery C, One hundred and fifty-first Field Artillery, near Pexonne, France, on March 5, 1918, when that organization was under particularly accurate artillery bombardment. Although wounded himself he refused first aid and continued on duty until all of the wounded soldiers of the command had been treated.

Zebulnn B. Thornburg: Near Montbrchnin, France, October 8-16. 1018. Residence. Concord, N. C.; born, Cabarnis County, N. C.; General Orders, No. 37, War Department, 1919. First lieutenant, One

hundred and eighteenth Infantry, Thirtieth Division. Although he was severely wounded on October 8 to such an extent that eating was impossible he remained as second in command until the night of October 16, when he was again wounded during an advance by his company.

Charles H. Tilghman: Near Nnntillois, France, September 28, 1918. Residence, Easton, Md.; born, Baltimore, Md.; General Orders, No. 81, War Department, 1910. Captain. Three hundred and fifteenth Infantry, Seventy-ninth Division. After having been wounded in the head by a piece of high-explosive shell, which slightly fractured his skull and rendered one eye useless, Captain Tilghman Insisted on remaining with his command. Throughout the night of constant rain and continual gas attacks he encouraged his demoralized troops, remaining with them until evacuated on the following morning.

William H. Vail: At Steuay, France, November 6, 19J8. Residence, Chicago, 111.; born. Chicago, III.; General Orders, No. 37, War Department, 1919. First lieutenant, pilot, Ninety-fifth Aero Squadron, Air Service. Lieutenant Vail, while on patrol, engaged four hostile pursuit planes which were about to attack an accompanying plane. Almost immediately he was attacked by five more enemy planes, all of which he continued to fight until he was severely wounded and his plane disabled. Ue glided to the ground, abandoning the fight only when his machine fell to pieces near the ground.

James A. Vincent: Near Ecllsfontaine, France, September 27, 1918. Residence, Berkeley, Calif.; born, Davenport, Iowa; General Orders, No. 37. War Department, 1919. First lieutenant, Six hundred and thirty-sixth Infantry, Ninety-first Division. Returning to the company after being treated for a very severe wound in the neck he commanded his platoon, which had been ordered to fall back because of a violent barrage. He volunteered nnd went forward to the aid of two enlisted men of his platoon who had been seriously wounded. While performing this duty he was again wounded in the knee, but worked his way back • to the dressing station and from there walked a distance of 4 kilometers to the field hospital.

Richard ,T. Walsh: Near Marg, France, October 18. 1918. Residence, Philadelphia, Pa., born. New York, N. Y.; General Orders, No. 44, War Department, 1919. First lieutenant, Dental Corps, attached to Three hundred and third Engineers, Seventy-eighth Division. Voluntarily acting as battalion medical officer, Lieutenant Walsh, although severely gassed, administered first aid to Injured men under heavy shell fire. He worked constantly until all the wounded were removed to places of safety.

Edward R. Warren: Near Fey-en-Haye, France, September 12. 1018. Residence, El Paso, Tex.; born, San Antonio, Tex.; General Orders, No. 128, War Department, 1918. First lieutenant, Three hundred and fifteenth Engineers, Ninetieth Division. He was in command of a platoon of engineers and went over the top with the second wave of the Infantry. When the first wave was halted by severe machine-gun and shell fire early in the action and all its officers killed or disabled, he led his men up to the first wave, reorganized the remaining effectives, and led them across a valley and up a hill through severs flanking fire from German machine guns. He was knocked down by the explosion of a shell, but, undaunted by murderous fire from the front and both flanks, he continued to lead his men on toward their objectives nntil he was shot down by a machine gun.

Herbert W. Whisenant: Near Solssons, France, July 18. 1918. Residence, Austin, Tex.; born, Kyle, Tex.; General Orders, No. 44, War Department, 1919. Second lieutenant. Sixteenth Infantry, First Division. While advancing with this platoon, Lieutenant Whlsennut, utter he was so severely wounded that he was unable to continue, so. encouraged and inspired his men that they won a decided victory and captured many men and guns. His wound resulted in the loss of a leg.

Richard G. White: Near Soissons, France, July 18. 1918. Residence, Charleston, S. C.; born, Marlon. S. C.; General Orders, No. 15, War Department, 1919. First lieutenant, Sixteenth Infantry, First Division. He led his platoon through intense machine-gun and artillery fire, destroying machine guns that were causing heavy losses on an exposed, flank and remaining in command of his platoon until twice severely wounded.

Merrltt B. Wilson: Near Reddy Farm, France, August 2, 1918. Residence, Menominee, Mich; born, Menomlnee, Mich.; General Orders, No. 64, War Department, 1919. First lieutenant, One hundred and twenty-fifth Infantry, Thirty-second Division. With a party of 30 men he led the advance on the Bois Cbcnet, where a full company of Germans, supported by machine guns, were encountered. Due to bis splendid leadership and example this resistance was overcome and the woods were taken. Although suffering great pain from a broken eardrum, caused by the explosion of a shell, Lieutenant Wilson immediately led his party to the flank of the battalion, where numerous attempts ot the enemy to retake the woods were repulsed. He refused to leave his company for first aid until darkness had brought an end to the advance.

Alan F. Winslow: In the Toul sector. France, June 8, 1918. Residence, River Forest, 111.: born, River Forest. 111.; General Orders, No. 121, War Department, 1918. Second lieutenant, Ninety-fourth Aero Squadron, Air Service. White on a patrol, consisting of himself and two other pilots, be encountered an enemy biplane at an altitude of 4,000 meters near St. Mlbiel, France. He promptly and vigorously attacked, and, after a running fight extending far beyond tbe German lines, shot his foe down In flames near Thlacourt.

David J. Wlnton (9604): Near Exermont, France, October 4, 1918. Residence, Minneapolis, Minn.; born, Warsaw, Wls.; General Orders, No. 59, War Department, 1919. Second lieutenant (sergeant) Company C, Three hundred and forty-fifth Battalion, Tank Corps. Sergeant Wiuton ran his tank Into tbe woods to reduce a machine-gun nest, but it was hit and set on fire. lie and the driver were wounded as they left the tank, but advanced on the nest and were both wounded the second time. While attempting to reach his companion, who had been bit tbe tbird time. Sergeant Wlnton was again wounded, but reached tbe driver. They then took cover and remained until darkness, when Sergeant Wiuton made his way back to our lines, being hit three more times while returning.

Jesse Walton Wooldridge: East of Chateau-Thierry, France, July 15, 1918. Residence, Ban Francisco, Calif.; born, Hopkinsvllle, Ky.; General Orders, No. 99, War Department, 1918. Distinguished-service medal also awarded. Captain, Thirty-eighth Infantry, Third Division. With rare courage and conspicuous gallantry he led a counterattack against an enemy of five times his own numbers on July 15, 1918, east of Chateau-Thierry, France; 189 men entered this counterattack and 51 emerged untouched. More than 1,000 of the enemy were killed, wounded or taken prisoners.

John F. Woolshlager: Northwest of Grand Pre, France, October 18, 1918. Residence, Castorland, N. Y.; born, Beaver Falls, N. Y.; General Orders, No. 16, War Department, 1920. First lieutenant, Three hundred and twelfth Infantry, Seventy-eighth Division. In the attack of morning of October 18, Lieutenant Woolshlager was severely • Wounded, both legs being broken. He nevertheless retained command of his platoon and that of an adjoining platoon. Throughout tbe day, exposed to heavy machine-gun and artillery fire, he encouraged and directed his men. Due to his efforts the position, gained at great cost, was held against enemy attacks.


Mr. O'CONNOR of Louisiana. Mr. Speaker, I ask unanimous consent to extend my remarks in the Record on House Joint Resolution 278.

The SPEAKER. The gentleman from Louisiana asks unanimous consent to extend his remarks in the Record. Is there objection?

There was no objection.

Mr. O'CONNOR of Louisiana. Mr. Speaker and Members of the House, I wish to say a few words in regard to H. R. 6511, a bill to protect labor in its old age, and H. J. Res. 278, a Joint resolution appointing a committee of 15 to inquire into the subject of old age dependency in the United States and proper methods of its relief, and to report back its finding within two years.

I am deeply interested in the subject. If I could eradicate poverty and its accompanying misery from the lives of men I would not exchange the proud satisfaction which I should enjoy for all of the triumphs ever decreed to the most successful conqueror. In that I am no different, I suppose, from the most of men. It is upon that assumption that I believe H. R. 6511 should be considered by the Committee on Labor at the next session of Congress and the entire subject matter of that bill canvassed, examined, analyzed, and published, as the first great step in ultimately securing congressional legislation upon the most important subject of human existence. Old-age pensions. In my judgment, is the act which, when performed, will completely justify the present civilization. "What profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul," and of what value is a civilization that is rich, powerful, and opulent in •spots, with degredation, poverty, misery, hopelessness, and the haunting fear the specter of want dogging the footsteps of many men and women in their old age, who, with advancing ytars, become more and more terrified at the thought that they will not have food, raiment, and shelter in the wintry days before death closes all.

I frankly admit that a good part of my education and experience, which are almost synonymous terms from my standpoint, were gained as a result of my membership in a number of fraternal organizations. As soon as I attained the age of 21 I joined the Knights of Pythias. That order is based upon the inspiring story of the friendship that existed between Damon and Pythias and will last as long as the English language has power to enthrall the ear and command the attention of man. For its rituul, written In the purest and loftiest English, is yet as wimple ns the language of the Bible, and makes for an indellble impression upon the coldest hearts and the dullest imaginations. That fraternal order has made for th^ betterment of mankind. Its wonderful story has made men do noble

things, not dream them all the day long, and so made death and that vast forever one grand sweet song, if I may be permitted to slightly alter Kingsley's immortal words so as to fit them into this sentence. The fundamentals that are its mudsills and its foundations, friendship, charity, and benevolence are really the support on which rests all of the other great fraternal orders of which I have any knowledge, such as the Elks, Moose, the Woodmen of the World, the Eagles, and the Knights of Columbus, each of which has a ritual which is a liberal education and a declaration of patriotism that attest an unfaltering devotion to American institutions and ideals. These fundamental principles, call them by what name you will, go back into the very twilight of man's existence and were the basis on which rested fraternal organizations in the dawn of the history of the world.

In Egypt's celebrated Book of the Dead, written long before Joseph was sold into captivity, and thousands of years before the dawn of Judaism had yet begun, there appear these words:

He hath given bread to the hungry and clothes to the naked; he hath given n boat to the shipwrecked; he hath befriended the widow and the orphan; he hath offered due rights to the gods and honored tbe dead.

Those lofty sentiments and those ideals would justify the existence of any church in the history of the world and make appealing any religious formula, by whatever name it might pass through the ages. All men are deeply moved, I am sure, by words that convey such a meaning and such a throb as are found in these two stanzas:

Open my eyes to visions girt

With beauty and with wonder lit
But never let me forget the dirt
And all that spawn and die in it.

Open my ears to music; let

Me thrill with spring's flrst flutes and drums—
But never let me dare forget

The bitter ballads of the slums.

Some of the finest men I know I met through these great, powerful American organizations that are, as it were, in each case an iniperium in imperio, and which round out and harmonize, as far as present legal, social, and governmental conditions will permit, the human relations that exist even in our great Republic. In other words, benevolent organizations do for their members that which government can not do in view of the restrictions nud restraints placed upon its operations. Governments have not yet reached the point, except in n few instances, where they are willing to take care of the people upon a broad and unlimited scale and guarantee them against want and the terrible fears that go with it, and make for so many specters iu the shape of old men and old women who totter and dodder in dread to their graves.

But it must be admitted that we have done many things and created many institutions to help the afflicted. Hospitals, insane asylums, denf and dumb asylums, institutes for the blind, homes for incurables, and many other similar institutions show that humanity is on the march, and that it is crowning itself with a greater glory than that which could ever be achieved through the construction of great subways, tunnels, wonderful bridges, inspiring skyscrapers, vast cathedrals, universities, and the solemn temples which adorn our educational structure, the great, libraries and art galleries that are the outstanding public buildings in every municipality in America. But much remains yet to be done. We are on the march, and men like Sikovich, torchbearers, are preiiariug for the great day that still lies ahead, when no man need fear that he and his companions will be without bread to eat or a roof to cover their heads when the storms blow across their lives, for "into each life some rain must fall, some days must be dark and dreary." There are, however, many of the advanced thinkers of this country along fraternal and benevolent lines, such as Frank Herring, of the Fraternal Order of Eagles, a hero in every strife for the uplift of the race, and James J. Davis, present Secretary of Labor, and intrenched in the affections of every member of the Moose order over this country, who believe that we should not attempt to hurry the great movement in behalf of benevolence lest we make the advance a disorderly instead of an orderly one. These really great spirits believe that nothing can happen permanently until the appropriate time arrives for its birth and development, and they both feel, I think, while impressed with the boldness and the vision and the courage of the advance guard, that perhaps it is well to observe and ponder over the wisdom of the maxim, "festina lente," "makei haste slowly," and therefore mark time occasionally and then go forward again.

There are many, I think, who believe that H. J. Res. 278 would not accomplish as much as H. R. 6511, under which the

« ПретходнаНастави »