« ПретходнаНастави »
SECTION II. 1. 2900 units of work are expended in cutting every square foot of oak planking. In what time will a 5-horse power engine cut 300 planks, each 20 ft. by 1 ft. 6 in.?
2. Two men undertake to dig a drain 500 feet long, and to carry the material in barrows to a heap at the end of it. Into what two pa must they divide the work, so that one-half of the labour may fall to the share of each ?
3. What is the cost of excavating 40,000 cubic feet of earth, and transporting it to a mean horizontal distance of 700 feet, allowing 3 pickmen to every 2 shovellers, and to each workman 2s.6d. per day.
SECTION III. 1. How many cubic feet of water must descend a river every minute to drive a wheel of 4 effective horse power, by means of a fall of 16 feet, the wheel yielding 68 of the work of the fall ?
2. The area of the piston of a high-pressure engine is 3000 inches, the length of the stroke 10 feet, the number of strokes per minute 16: required the mean pressure of the steam upon the piston, so that the engine may work at 120-horse power, allowing the friction of the unloaded engine to be 1 lb. per square inch of the piston, and the additional friction of the loaded engine to be one-seventh of the load.
3. How would you calculate the velocity with which a ball leaves the muzzle of an air-gun, knowing the dimensions of the condensing chamber and barrel, the pressure of the condensed air, and the weight of the ball ?
SECTION IV. Explain fully the structure and functions 1. Of the roots of plants.-2. Of their stems.-3. Of their leaves.
Section V. 1. How may the starch and gluten of grain be separated? What functions do they perform in the first growth of the plant?
2. What functions are assigned to diastase and dextrine in the growth of plants, and whence are these substances derived? Why is barley made to sprout in malting ?
3. Give some account of the soluble portion of the inorganic parts of plants.
Section VI. In what districts do the following geological formations prevail, and what are their agricultural characteristics ?
1. The tertiary strata.—2. The lower oolite.-3. The new red sandstone.
Section VII. 1. What general conclusions have been deduced from the analysis of soils ?
2. What are the properties of the nitrogen in manures, and by what manures is it supplied in the greatest abundance?
3. Give some account of the different kinds of artificial manure and of their properties.