« ПретходнаНастави »
Comprising in only 5 Octavo Vols., the whole 45 Vols. of other Editions, and at prices
calculated to induce all classes to become purchasers,
Comprising in 5 Vols. 8vo., the 45 Vols. of other Editions, and presenting vast saving of
expense, both in the works and binding.
24. Character of a very Pretty Fellow--A Toast.. Addisom. V
Continental Intelligence-Lines to the French
Continental Intelligence-Raillery on the
3. Play-house, a Poem, by Blackmore-Tapes-
a Parrot-Letter from Jeffry Nicknack-
28. On Duelling-Continental Intelligence
29. Letter from Tim. Switch on Duelling-Cri.
tics and Wits-Continental Intelligence..
3. Fallen State of Love-Cynthia, the absent
31. Duelling-Letter to the Author on his being
Virgil - Journal of the Iliad - Continental
Fair Sex-Attempts to seduce her-Conti-
9. Reformation of the Stage--Continental Intel.
96. Mrs. Jenny Distaff--Characters at Epsom-
Congreye's Old Batchelor
Description of the Morning
Character of Timon-Pastorella converted
37. On the Fox-hunter's Speech-Cæsar to his
from Coquetry-Continental Intelligence Steele.
Party at the Rubicon..
0. Empire of Beauty-Continental Intelligence
38. On Duelling-Whisperers without Business
1. A Similitude-On Death-Modern Prophets Steele. -Characters
Genealogy of the Staffs ......
Steele. 39. Oxford and its Almanack-Dialogue on Duels
40. Cure of Lunaticks-On Love and Marriage..
Phillips. 41. Exercise at Arms—Character of a Questioner
-The Author accused of Personalities.....
13 Adventures of the Tatler's Guardian Angel,
42. Lines on Bribery
Steele. Character of Aspasia..
14. Character of Verus-Earl of Essex and Al-
Inventory of the Play-house
chymist-Dumb Fortune-teller and Wi.
49. D’Urfey's Dedication
dow-To Cerrespondents ...
New System of Philosophy................... Addison.
15. Story of Pacolet-Gamesters-Pleasure ......
On the Sublime
16. Characters at Bath-Letter to Castabella ...
44. Esculapius in love with Hebe-Sale of the
17. On Panegyric-Naked Truth criticised...
Play-house Articles--Humourous Com.
19. On Signs : (probably).....
Addison. plaint of Punch-The Country Gentleman
Distress of Newswriters....
who cannot bear a Jest-Continental In-
19. History of Esquires-Busy Body-A Trip to
the Jubilee-Letter from Madame Mainte-
45. Story of Teraminta-Puppet-shows-Scene
ef bodily Wit-Characters of Florio and
20. Complaint of a Lady
Dramatic News and Criticism..
Addison 46. Character and Gallantries of Aurengezebe-
Lines on the March to Tournay without
beat of Drum-Continental Intelligence
low-The Fox-Dramatic Writers of the
47. Character of Sir Taffety Trippet-Cure for
last and present Age-Letter on Mr. Bick-
the Spleen-Passions expressed by Shak-
48. Shades of Conscience and Honour--Genius
2. Cynthia in Love-Lindamira's Lovers-Cave
Underhill-Young Lady in Love with a
49. Love and Lust-Florio and Limberham-
23. Cure for Fits in Married Ladies-Leiter to
50. History of Orlando the Fair-Powell's Pup-
the French King-Continental Intelligence
clares a Passion for the Author-His An.
racters of Nestor and Varillus-the mo-
Censure of Ladies who attend Trials for
Rapes—Case of Lucretia-Egotism of the
French Writers-On giving Advice, a Fable
the Mistress--Complaint against Stentor-
Character of the Dappers--Death of Cyn-
France-Notices to Correspondents
Letter-Glory shared among an Army...
tortioners-Satire on the French, applied
and Gunsters ...
A Dancing-master practising hy Book ..... Addison. V
Life-Evil of unreasonable Visits-Players
Actaon-Author accused of writing Non-
99. Unity of Sentiment in treating the Passion
of Love-Its allegorical History........ Addison. -
Steele. 91. Maria's Visit-A Case of Love and Envy-
Impertinence of Nic Doubt-Play-house
-Scene of a true and feigned Poet
61. Men of Fire described-Use of Satire-Dis.
commendation of Charles Lillie....
smiths-Stentor-Education and Beauty of
velling-Fools not to be exported—Thc Au-
thor's Precautions against Assaults....... Addison. »
ation of Mr. Lillic-Notices of an Alman-
Kos. Scene of Domestic Felicity...
63. Of the Enjoyment of Life with regard to
96. Every worthless Man a dead Man-Pecu-
otherg-Use of Ridicule....
liarities of Dress—Game killed by the
Madonella's Platonic College..
French King-Charles Lillie...
Steele, 97. Hercules courted by Pleasure and Virtue,
64. Continental Intelligence
Character of Cleontes
Hughes. 98. Letter from a Woman in Love-Impressive
65. Character of a Batlle-Critic-Conduct of the
Tendency of Poetry....
Bath Sharpers ...:
Steele. 99.) Advantages from having but one Theatre
66, Eloquence of the Pulpit
Swift and Steele.
Attack and Expulsion of Divito-Remon.
Infelicity of Riches to one who is not a Gen-
strance of the Upholders....
67. Proposals for Tables of Fame.....
Swift. 101. Danger of Authors from Pirates....
Continental Intelligence-Skill of Transi.
Steele, 102. Continuance of the Vision of the Goddess of
88. Tables of Fame-Female Sharpers............ Swift.
Causes of Tears-Notice of a sharper-Of a
103. Applications for Permission to use Canes,
Addison and Steele.
99. On acting our parts in Life well-Promotion
104. Happiness, how secured in the married State Steele.
of Eboracensis-Letter from two Ladies in-
105. History of Will Rosin-Art of Knocking....
clined to marry the same Man-Bravery
106. Catalogue of Poetical Stock-Criticisin on a
of the Allies-Various Notices....
Passage in Hamlet-Surrender of Mr. Jef-
Steele. 107. Case of a Lover tormented by a Coquette...
Nature-Errors of the French Writers... Addison.
Betterton's Hamlet-Reformation of Man.
109. Fashionable Visiting-Notice from the Up-
ners at Oxford....
79. Story of Pætas and Arria-Want of Earnest.
110. Court of Judicature of the Dead in Reason
ness in the Pulpit-Favonius-Decision of
Addison and Steele.
111. On the Prevalence of Irreligious Principles
73. Letter from Monoculus, and Answer......
Addison and Sleele.
Hughes. 112. Amusements and Relaxations of great Men
142 Letter from a Lover-Letter on the Tendency
113. Inventory of a Beau...
of satirical CharactersTable of Fame--
Petition of William Jingle, Coach-maker-
Notice to the Dead
Miss Jenny's Marriage--Choice of Matches
114. Death-bed Scene..
Addison and Steele.
in the Bickerstaff family...... Addison and Steele. 115. Squire Nicolini-Taste for Puppet-Shows
Death and Character of Sir Hannibal-
Hughes. 116. Court of Judicature on the Petticoat....... Addison.
Continental Intelligence-Notice to a young
117. On the Pleasure derived from the Deliver-
ance of the Good from Danger-The Au-
Original Letter from Marshal Boufflers-
118. Irregular Conduct of the Dead-Letters from
Partridge, &c.-Petition of Penelope Prim Steele.
78. Letters soliciting Places at the Table of Fame
119. Discoveries of the Microscope-A Dream.. Addison.
- Character of Hippocrates-Advertise-
120. Vision of the Three Roads of Human Life-
ment and Notice to Correspondents......
79. Advice to married Persons-Mrs. Jenny's
121. Consultation on the Sickness of a Lady's
Wedding-dinner-Notice of a Pamphlet..
Lap-Dog-Fondness for Animals.....
80. Exorbitant Price of Books-Letters from a
122. The Author's Appearance at Dogget's Bene-
splenetic Gentleman-From a Limper-
fit-Virtuous feelings of an Athenian Au-
81. Vision of the Table of Fame................. Addison. 123. Continuation of the Vision of the Three
Taking of Mons ...,
Roads of Life....
(12. Story of the Cornish LoversOf a Lover who 124. On Expectations from the Lottery...........
kills bis Mistress.............
125. Proposals for a Receptacle for Persons out of
195. Characters of a Prude and Coquette-Story
the Indian Kings-Impertineace of Mi.
199. On Pride, as affecting the Reason.......
171. Mischiefs arising from Passion-Story of
173. Errors in Education-Character of Horace.
1747 Various species of mad persons-Lady Fid.
get and Will Voluble....
of eminent Characters-Estcourt's Benefit
176. On Heroism in Sufferings—Eucrates, the
Man and his Daughter....
Free-thinkers—The latter how to be treat-
180. Injustice of not paying Tradesmen-Or Show
Father--Sale of Wine..
182. Pleasures of the Theatre-Characters of
Wilks and Cibber....
-Gyges' Ring-Actions of Public Spirits 184. On Marriage, and the custornary Ceremo-
nies-Impertinence of Wags..
the use of his Ring......
Antiochus and Stratonice....
Neighbours-Letter from a Valentine
Character of Desdemona-Of Bullock and
Charles the Toyman.....
racter of Sam Bickerstaff and his family.
The Author's Letter to her Husband-
A Law Case- Letter to the king of France.
144. Prevalence of Extravagance and Show-
192. Characters in a Stage-coach-Anecdote of
two Ladies and their Husbands, Passen-
147. Juno's method to regain Jupiter's Affection
194. Passage from Spenser transposed...
149. On the Diet of the Metropolis-Pernicious
Quacks-Letter to Amanda...
Addison. 196. On the Behaviour of Patrons to their Depen-
-Passion for being thought a Scholar
151. Effects of a general Mourning-Passion for
199. Remarks on the same-On Marriage Settle-
ments—Specinien of a Contract....
Lovers-Plan for raising the Fortunes of
134. Virgil's Allegory and Ideas of a future State 201. Faults of the Women attributable to the
156. Visit of Telemachus to the other World....
202. On unreasonable Expectations-On Heroic
Actions in private Life-Lottery....
159. Vindication of Marriage against the Wits- 204, Improper manner of Address-Character of
Passages from Cicero's Letters........ Steele. Tom Courtly....
Letter from a Coquette, and from Tom
206. On Esteem-Character of Jack Gainly, and
Addison 207. Conduct of the Author's three Nephews to
his Sister Gatty Of Flavia and Lucia..... Steele.
161. Dream of the Region of Liberty..
a Female Visitor-Character of a Gentle-
Author Subscriptions for the Tatler....
man–Letter from a Lottery Adventurer..
L1es. Critical reading of Ned Softly's Poetry....
208. On injudicious civil People
164. Remarks on the Author's various Correspon-
the most agreeable Companion.........
Steele. 909. Scene between Alexander the Great and his
Physician proposed to a Historical Painter
Addison. 210. Visit to a Censorious Lady of Quality-Let-
106. Rules of Visiting-Character of Tom Modely
ter from an old maid-Continental Intel-
- Notice of a Pastoral Masque, &C....... Stoele.
107. Funeral and Character of Mr. Betterton the
211. Uses of Sunday-On Devotion
212. On Simplicity of Ornament-Letters on an
168. Characters of Impudence and Absurdity-
Ass in the Lion's Skin-From a Virgin, &c.
Education of the Jesuits-Petition of
213. On Dissimulation and Simulation Tom
Trueman, a Hero in Domestic Life.......
163. On the Evils of Drinking-Character of a
214. On the Rigid and the Supple-Account of a
Country Gentleman - Letter from F.
215. Account of a Flatterer-And a common Jes.
170. Vicissitudes of human Life-Visit to the
ter-Case of a Widow - Petition of the
216 Taste of the Virtuosi–Legacy of a Virtuoso
171. Origin of Honour and Title-Behaviour of
--Doath of Mr. Partridge
Los Pedantry of Tom Folio, the Book-broker..